Stop by the rules is a continuation of ‘Safety, My Second Name’ campaign. The keynote this year will come down to educating drivers about issues related to the rules of correct stopping on the motorway, if the car breaks down.
As part of the campaign, at several locations on the A1 AmberOne Motorway, the Police was stopping vehicles at random to instruct their drivers on how to stop properly, should the vehicle break down. Alongside a brochure discussing the rules of correct stopping on the motorway, the drivers was presented with a safety torch and/or reflective vest. Similar actions were repeated in February, March, May, and November.
The campaign elements also included leaflets of the ‘Stop by the Rules’ series. These were available e.g. at the toll gates of the A1 AmberOne Motorway over the duration of the action.
The leaflet can be downloaded from our website (download here).
Hopefully, the ‘Stop by the Rules’ campaign will imprint several golden rules in the minds of the motorway and express road users keeping them safe and sound. Here are the golden rules we should abide by:
- if you are forced to stop, do not stop anywhere else but on the emergency lane, as far right as possible
- Leave the car through the right door
- Warn others, i.e. turn on the emergency lights, put on a reflective vest, and place the warning triangle on the lane, at least 100 m before the place you have stopped
- Do not move anywhere else but on the emergency lane or the grass
- Never cross the motorway
- Phone for help
- Await assistance staying on the grass and keeping a safe distance from the vehicle.
Other elements of the campaign included:
- educational humorous movies with a moral, “Hold on Grownups!”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2peEQda7w
- the developed animated instruction: ‘Stopping Safe on the Motorway’
- the boards displaying an instruction on how to stop safe on the motorway in case of a car failure, put up at all Service Areas on the A1 AmberOne Motorway.
The Voivodship Police Headquarters in Gdańsk has taken patronage over the ‘Safety, My Second Name – Stop by the Rules’. As for the media, our sponsors were: Radio Gdańsk and Radio PiK. The City Police Headquarters in Grudziądz and Poviat Police Headquarters in Świecie have also joined the action.